Manchester United may be put off the idea of hiring Ralf Rangnick, despite interest from Ed Woodward, due to the “full power” he would want at the club
It was reported over the weekend that Rangnick, who has previously enjoyed success at RB Leipzig and Hoffenheim, is interested in the United job.
Furthermore, Woodward considers him a ‘viable option’ and has been ‘impressed’ by the 63-year-old in informal meetings.
He is currently working at Lokomotiv Moscow but would reportedly leave his post in order to take control at Old Trafford, even on short-term basis.
Solskjaer is battling for his job after a poor run of results, with their latest Premier League defeat to Manchester City piling on further pressure.
But Romano claims that while there is interest in Rangnick from United, they are unlikely to plump for him given the control he would want at the club.
“It’s not easy because he wants the full power on everything,” Romano said on his YouTube channel.
“It’s not just the technical point, the system or these kinds of things.
“He wants to decide on everything at the club and this is why Ralf Rangnick isn’t so easy for Manchester United.
“He’s appreciated by someone in the board but he’s not one of the main options right now.”
And he added: “From Rangnick there is the desire to manage with Manchester United, it is a dream for him.
“But, for now, there is nothing going on from United with Rangnick.” Meanwhile, Gary Neville says the United bosses must “put their helmets on” to defend Solskjaer.
He said: “Last season, people said second in the league is progression, it’s now not progression. That has to change very quickly. Against big teams, they look desperately short, and they shouldn’t. That’s where the manager comes under enormous pressure, and questions are asked, and on social media the pressure will be hot, but the contingent on social media are very different to the fans in the stadium itself.
“The contingent on social media don’t have the sympathy, the empathy, the compassion that the fans in the stadium have. But the fans walked out towards the end of Saturday’s game, because they knew it wasn’t right.
“The club have not prepared for this, not prepared for a new manager, they didn’t expect it, they thought everything was sort of plain sailing along.
“They’ve planned around a structure of way of working in the last two or three years that they’re not going to veer away from, but in this moment in time they’re going to have to put their helmets on if they’re going to defend it.
“Because the reality of it is it’s nowhere near good enough and you can’t defend it. They’ve only played a couple decent sides in Tottenham, Liverpool and City. They should have already had plenty of points in the bank to deal with that. It’s unacceptable with this squad.”